If you are fond of Italian and Greece cuisine, then you should follow the Mediterranean Diet. These are traditional recipes followed back in the 60s and many types of research tell us that they are quite healthy in comparison. This is the main reason that most people turned their attention to the Mediterranean diet and find these foods.
To clarify, the people who follow this diet are less prone to diseases like stroke, type -2 diabetes, and heart attack. In addition, the people who follow this diet do not gain more weight and also have fewer chances of premature death. Therefore, many people started following this particular diet as it has innumerable benefits.
If you are new to this diet, then you can follow the simple steps mentioned below. Consequently, you can get used to this diet which helps you achieve a healthy lifestyle. However, you do not have to follow them religiously as it can be overwhelming. Therefore, you should follow the diet with baby steps consistently to see the results.
Easy Steps To Follow the Mediterranean Diet
If you are vegetarian, then you can easily follow this diet as the pattern has more vegetables and plant-based ones. However, if you are an ardent non-vegetarian, then you need to cut off certain items like meat. On the other hand, you can make changes to the diet and balance out the diet. The following are the basic steps to follow this diet.
1. Start With The Basics Of Mediterranean Diet
If you are a beginner, then start with the simple items as follows
- You can eat vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds in this diet, In addition, the legumes, whole grains, bread, and herbs can be taken.
- If you are a fish lover, then this is a part of this diet and therefore there are no restrictions. Further, you can take seafood and spices.
- However, you need to take poultry foods, cheese, and yogurt once in three days.
- Red meat can be taken very rarely and you should completely avoid beverages, added sugars, refined oils and grains, other processed foods.
2. What To Eat In This Diet?
Apart from the Mediterranean foods, one should involve in a regular physical activity for better results. Following are the items you should take in this diet
- Vegetables that are rich and colorful like broccoli, tomatoes, onions, kale, spinach, carrots, sprouts, cucumbers, and so on must be taken.
- Consequently, fruits like oranges, bananas, pears, apples, dates, figs, melons, and grapes can be taken. To clarify, there are no restrictions on naturally available fruits.
- Nuts and seeds are allowed. In addition, you can take poultry, seafood like salmon, tuna, and clams can be taken.
- Apart from this, you can take herbs, spices, legumes, tubers, and healthy oils.
3. What Not To Eat In This Diet?
The foods with added sugar, trans fat, refined grains, and oils must be avoided. Further, processed meat and processed foods like pizza are strictly prohibited.
4. Things You Should Drink While Following the Mediterranean Diet
Any beverage is allowed like red wine (one glass per day), coffee, tea, and juices. However, the sugar intake must be less even it is in freshly squeezed juice.
5. How To Follow This Diet During eating At Restaurants?
If you go to restaurants, you can follow this diet by asking the food with extra virgin olive oil. To clarify, ask them to add olive oil to all the dished like fish. You can choose your main courses like fish and other seafood. In addition, concentrate on whole-grain bread and avoid butter by using olive oil.